General question about Python design goals

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Nov 29 10:28:13 EST 2005

Steve Holden wrote:

> > The bike shed effect is a good explanation and so true. About 8 years
> > ago when I started to work at my current working place at the university
> > I suggested that a bike shed should be provided for people like me.
> > Since then, a lot of million euro projects have been carried out, like
> > introducing SAP software and new projects are in progress. But my bike
> > still is getting wet and anyway, it's still bothering me.
> >
> Yes, but that's the academic world, and bike sheds are a real-world
> requirement so they will tend to be ignored indefinitely.

on the other hand, it's also possible that there are perfectly usable ways
to keep bikes and bike seats dry where Christoph works, but that he prefers
not to use them because they're violating some design rule.

(this is related to the drain pipe effect, where engineers spend endless
hours talking about how to make it easier to climb the drain pipe, while
everyone uses the stairs...)

</F>