Using Which Version of Linux

rainbow.cougar at gmail.com rainbow.cougar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 23:00:28 EST 2005

Magnus Lycka wrote:
> blah at blah.blah wrote:
> > ok, i m going to use Linux for my Python Programs, mainly because i
> > need to see what will these fork() and exec() do. So, can anyone tell
> > me which flavour of linux i should use, some say that Debian is more
> > programmer friendly, or shold i use fedora, or Solaris. Because these
> > three are the only ones i know of that are popular and free.

Hmm, I use FreeBSD at home, and Red Hat, SLES10, Fedora, etc. at work,
and have used HPUX, Solaris, AIX, and I don't see any of them as more
or less programmer friendly.

They all have Python, PERL, C (or can get gcc), make, vi, emacs, cvs,
all the basic tools you need.

It's up to you to decide what to use, and all have the ability to
enchance your environment, say with Idle, cooledit, gmake, gdb,  etc.

They all have XWindows, so if you want fancy editors or IDEs, just get
a package or tarball and build it...