how to check for unix password

bonono at gmail.com bonono at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 05:57:04 EST 2005

complicated issue. There is lots of authentication sub system that may
be in use(PAM, LDAP, Kerberos, /etc/shadow etc.). Each has a different
way. If it is linux, I think you should shoot for PAM, for other unix
system I have no idea.
/etc/passwd is a one way hash, you need the user submit the plain text
equivalent(better use SSL) then compute and compare.

However, if this is web page, I believe it would be better to use the
apache2 module which has relatively good integration with the
authentication system.