ANN: P(x) 0.2 applet builder

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Nov 10 19:24:53 EST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
>

>>Since following standards is optional on the web, at least if things
>>work in the most popular browser of the day, I probably should have
>>seen this coming.
>

> IE has no problems handling that link, if that's what you mean.
>
> judging from
>
>     [ Info] Unable to open input file:
>     http://www.mired.org/downloads/P(x)-0.2.tar.gz
>     [ Info] Compilation error: Unrecognized header string
>
> it looks like LB has configured his browser to pass all gz files to some
> ancient VRML plugin; see e.g.
>
>     http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html#VRML_error

For the avoidance of doubt, the problem for me wasn't with the browser,
it was Thunderbird that decided the URL ended just before the closing
parenthesis. For some reason the opening paren and the x were perfectly
acceptable.

Copying the text and pasting it into Firefox's location widget brought
the page up without difficulty.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119