Proposal for adding symbols within Python

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sun Nov 13 18:16:15 EST 2005

Ben Finney wrote:

> I believe that's exactly what Pierre doesn't want to do. He wants to
> simply use names (marked special in some way) and have Python
> automatically determine a unique value for each name, with nary an
> assignment in sight.
>
> To me, that's a net loss. It makes names more complicated, it loses
> "explicit is better than implicit", and it loses the checks Python
> could do against using a name that hasn't been assigned a value
> (caused by e.g. a misspelled name).

I agree.  And, when done explicitly, it's already easy enough to do this
within the language, by just assigning it a value, even if it's an
integer from range/xrange or a new sentinel like object().

   The stairs of the sky are let down for him that he may ascend thereon
   to heaven. O gods, put your arms under the king: raise him, lift him