installing PygreSQL and psychopg2 modules (a newbie question)

Robert Boyd robert.h.boyd at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:41:16 EST 2005

On 11/2/05, Zlatko Matić <zlatko.matic1 at sb.t-com.hr> wrote:

>  I was trying to install PygreSQL and psychopg2 in order to use python as
> front-end for PostgreSQL, on WIndows XP.
> When I tried to install by calling setup.py from command prompt ("setup.pyinstall"), in both cases I had the same error:
>  "error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and
> extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but it
> isn't installed."
>
> What does it mean ? What am I supposed to do?

It means you are trying to install from source (I assume you downloaded
tarballs of pygresql and psycopg), and it needs a compiler to build the
source. Your Python was installed as a Windows binary, right? (you did
point-and-click install of Python?) It appears you do not have Visual Studio
installed on your system. I have no idea if these database libraries will
build with VS, I've never tried on Windows. Another thing, you need all the
postgres libraries and headers to build these packages, and I don't know if
postgres win32 includes these.
Rob