* TypeError - Need help passings args

Ernesto erniedude at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:07:24 EST 2005

My program is below.  I'm trying to use two Windows ".exe" files with
my command line python interface.  I get user input, then call
"launchWithoutConsole".  This was working OK until I introduced the
'args' part.  Now I get the following error everytime I call
"launchWithoutConsole":

      return subprocess.Popen([command] + args,
startupinfo=startupinfo).wait()

TypeError: can only concatenate list (not "str") to list

I'm not sure if it's the WAY I'm passing it or if it's the function
itself (which I retrieved from
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/409002
)

Please help.  Thanks!

import subprocess

def launchWithoutConsole(command, args):
    """Launches 'command' windowless and waits until finished"""
    startupinfo = subprocess.STARTUPINFO()
    startupinfo.dwFlags |= subprocess.STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW
    return subprocess.Popen([command] + args,
startupinfo=startupinfo).wait()

infinity = 1
#Get user input in iterative loop
while infinity:
	userCommand = raw_input("> ")
	if userCommand == "connect":
		launchWithoutConsole("devcon.exe",'enable
"@USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_00\7&15E4F68&1&0000')
		launchWithoutConsole("devcon.exe",'enable
"@USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_01\7&15E4F68&1&0001')
	elif userCommand == "disconnect":
		launchWithoutConsole("devcon.exe",'disable
"@USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_00\7&15E4F68&1&0000')
		launchWithoutConsole("devcon.exe",'disable
"@USB\VID_0403&PID_6010&MI_01\7&15E4F68&1&0001')
	else:
		# include full path to rib.exe in quotes.
		launchWithoutConsole("rib.exe", userCommand)