Reading binary data

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Nov 23 14:40:33 EST 2005

In comp.lang.python, "David M" wrote:

> Thanks but the C Struct describing the data doesn't match up with the
> list on the module-struct page.

Then you're going to have to do some bit-bashing.

>   comp_t is a 16-bit "floating" point number with a 3-bit base 8
>   exponent and a 13-bit fraction. See linux/kernel/acct.c for the
>   specific encoding system used.

Yoinks! That's just a bit too clever.

You'll have to impliment that yourself.

> What are u_ini16_t and comp_t?

Dunno, I guess you'll have to look at the sources and find the
typedefs.

> And what about the enum section?

It's probably a 32-bit integer, but it may take some
experimentation to confrim that.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I invented skydiving
                                  at               in 1989!