3-dimensional plot in Python?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Nov 16 09:19:23 EST 2005

[Frithiof Andreas Jensen]

> [universal_used at hotmail.com]

>> I want to make a 3d plot. x is a vector(discrete), y is also
>> a vector(discrete), for each pairwise x,y I have a value z(x,y)(it is
>> not a function, just discrete values for each pair of x,y).  I want
>> to show them on a two dimensional plot by showing z(x,y) with colors.

>SciPy is your friend: Provides interfaces to several plot engines, including
>gnuplot.

For such things, I like R (from http://www.r-project.org), for which
also exist a few Python interfaces (I use http://rpy.sourceforge.net).
For communication between Python and R, Python Numeric facilities are
usable, yet not required.  Moreover, with 3D-accelerated cards or
simulations thereof, OpenGL tools (see http://rgl.neoscientists.org)
allow you to interactively wander into your plot, somehow.

The combination is worth.  What may appear as a drawback is the need to
become acquainted with R, the system and the language.  But if you
happen to do scientific works, this really is a worth investment.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca