Problem printing in Win98

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at riverhall.nospam.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 05:13:00 EST 2005

Maravilloso wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to automatically send a postscript file to be printed to the
> default printer in a Win98 PC, by means of using the instrucction:
>
>   win32api.ShellExecute (0, "print", "file.ps", None, ".", 0)
>
> but it raises an exception with the message:
>
>   error: (31, 'ShellExecute', 'A device attached to the system is not
> functioning.')
>

> Curiously, that instruction does works on Win2K/XP, but trying to use
> this shortcut for easy printing in Win98 provokes such error. I've
> tried in different machines (all of them running with Win98) and I
> obtain the same output.
>
> Does anybody knows what happens with Win98 printing automation?
> Any idea?
>
> Thanks in advance

I presume this .ps file is a preformed postscript file that should be sent
to a postscript printer without further modification?

In this case, I think you should use copy instead of print. Something like
this:

win32api.ShellExecute(0, "copy", "file.ps prn", None, ".", 0)

It has been a long time since I used Windows, especially 98, but if 'prn'
doesn't work, you might try one of: 'lpt', 'lpt1', 'lpt:', 'lpt1:'.

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems - www.riverhall.co.uk