Which License Should I Use?

Paul Rubin http
Tue Nov 29 14:37:15 EST 2005

"Andrew Koenig" <ark at acm.org> writes:
> > Definitely not. The most recent change to the copyright laws made
> > works of music recorded to fullfill a contract "work for hire" by
> > default.
>
> If there's a contract -- i.e., a written agreement, then why does it matter?

Music recordings of that type couldn't be works for hire before.  It
got quietly changed in a sneaky maneuver by a congressional staffer
who then became an RIAA lobbyist.  I've heard the change got undone
sometime after it was noticed and there was a protest but I'm not sure
of specifics.  See:

  http://www.jdray.com/Daviews/courtney.html