How to get started in GUI Programming?

UrsusMaximus at gmail.com UrsusMaximus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 11:12:18 EST 2005

Hello Peter,

I am going to recommend EasyGui which can be found at
http://www.ferg.org/easygui/ because it is (by far) the easiest
possible GUI creation tool using Python.

If (or when) your needs require more complex options than easygui
provides, you might try looking at my GUI toolkits page,
http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html which has short descriptions of
and links to several Python GUI toolkits. Among these, my personal
favorite is PythonCard which is a framework that uses a visual GUI
creation tool and uses the wxPython widgets. I have found PythonCard to
be much easier to get started with than Glade.

I also did a podcast describing Python's GUI options, from a beginner's
point of view, which can be found on my Python podcasts page,
http://www.awaretek.com/python/index.html (scroll down to near the
bottom to find the "Choose Your GUI Toolkit" podcast from back in July.

But by all means don't forget to check out Easygui. Steve Ferg has made
a tool that is incredibly simple to learn and use, and sometimes it
sure is nice to get instant gratification by achieving quick success
and useful results. ;-)))

Ron Stephens
Foundation</a>