stringified cPickle

David Bear david.bear at asu.edu
Thu Nov 17 21:18:32 EST 2005

I'm rather new to pickling but I have some dictionaries and lists I want to
package and send to another process (on another machine).

I was hoping I could just send a stringified pickle. However, the examples
in the doc have:

>>> import pickle
>>> pickle.dump(obj,open('save.p','w'))

I don't really want to write to a file. I know I could write to sys.stdout.
But I'd rather collect the string and do some garbage collect, etc before I
exit the script.

Is there a way to have cPickle just hand me a string?

--
David Bear
-- let me buy your intellectual property, I want to own your thoughts --