install python2.4 on FreeBSD and keep using python2.3

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Thu Nov 17 17:46:24 EST 2005

[posted & mailed]
Ksenia Marasanova wrote:

> I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
> current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
> instead of upgrading.
> Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
> /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
> as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?
> Or am I missing something and the things are much easier? I am not a
> FreeBSD guru and it's my first python upgrade... thanks!

As far as I know, the FreeBSD ports versions of python don't interfere
with python's default strategy of installing based on major.minor version
numbers (eg /usr/local/lib/python2.[3|4] & /usr/local/bin/python2.[3|4]).
/usr/local/bin/python will be linked to the most recently installed
python port.

Its been a while since I looked, but I thought that the ports collection
would contain 2.3(.5) as well as 2.4(.2, default "python" port), so I
expect that the ports collection has support for multiple versions
anyway.

So you should be able to update the ports collection, change into
lang/python and "make install".  A quick review of the port makefiles
should confirm this.  Any scripts that are 2.3 only will need to be
doctored to use /usr/local/bin/python2.3 instead of
/usr/local/bin/python.