Spambayes modifications with web services

benmorganpowell at gmail.com benmorganpowell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 08:56:21 EST 2005

Thank you for the flippant remarks. Let's just say that I found them to
be unproductive.

I would like to point out the process was not designed to be automatic
and I don't believe made such a statement. I should clarify that my
desire was to list each domain that was contained in a spam email, so
that the user could then:

 - check if previously it has been reported as spam, or
 - open the link in their browser, and
 - check whether the domain was spam or ham, and then if spam
 - post it to the web service ("Post Spam Site to Web Service").

Therefore, thanks, yes, I did "think through the consequences of my
actions".

The line that reads "WARNING: DO NOT BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE. THE SPAMMER
IS.....", was tongue in cheek, and it seems to be the line that stirred
up the condescending comments. What I should have written was something
more along the lines of:

"WARNING: The website <domain> has been reported by <x> users as a
website that uses illegal spam email to generate business leads"

I think that is a perfectly useful and fair statement, which I cannot
see damaging legitimate business enterprises.

I also think it would be quite useful for consumers to know that the
domain name they are about to purchase had previously been misused by
spammers, and was quite likely to be blacklisted by spam software.

I must say that I am surprised that the python group could be so
unfriendly and unhelpful.

Many thanks.