Web-based client code execution

Stephen Kellett snail at objmedia.demon.co.uk
Fri Nov 18 15:42:07 EST 2005

In message <1132342910.799932.58720 at g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Steve
<steve.morin at gmail.com> writes
>AJAX works because browsers can execute javascript.  I don't know of a
>browser that can execute python.  Basically your stuck with java or
>javascript because everything else really isn't cross platform.

ActiveState do a version of Python that can run in a script tag like
JavaScript and VBScript. This requires Windows Scripting Host. They also
do a similar thing for Perl, not sure about TCL.

The syntax is along the lines of

<SCRIPT language="PythonScript">
Python goes here
</SCRIPT>

I remember reading this about PerlScript and I'm pretty sure I'm correct
in remembering there is a PythonScript. Anyway you are limited to
ActiveState and Windows Scripting Host.

For pragmatic reasons I think you would be better concentrating on
JavaScript for the Client and your language of choice
Python/Ruby/Lua/whatever for the server part of AJAX.

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited    http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html