Flat file, Python accessible database?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Nov 1 20:26:27 EST 2005

Karlo Lozovina wrote:
> bkhl at stp.lingfil.uu.se (=?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B6rn_Lindstr=C3=B6m?=) wrote in
> news:877jbsxnrx.fsf at lucien.dreaming:
>
>>If you need it to be SQL-like, SQLite seems to be the right thing.
>
> Tried that one, but had some problems setting things up. On the other
> hand, BerkeleyDB + Pybsddb worked like a charm, with no setting up (under
> Cygwin).

I'm very curious what problems you had.  In my experience SQLite
requires *nothing* I'd call "setup".  You install Pysqlite or APSW,
write your code, and it runs and works.  There are no configuration
steps required, nothing but creating tables (and that's a standard step
with any SQL-like database).  What environment were you using, and what
kind of issues did you encounter?  (I ask because I often recommend
SQLite, but would like to temper that advice if in some cases these
setup problems would cause someone trouble.)

-Peter