wxPython installation issues on Debian

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 20:06:11 EST 2005

Paul McNett wrote:
> amhoov at yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>Thanks a lot for the clarification. I don't have a compelling reason
>>not to use 2.3 other than having to install the modules I've already
>>set up for 2.4. Not really a big deal. Looks like I'll be switching to
>>2.3.
>
> Umm, for what it's worth: I'm on Ubuntu (a Debian derivative), using Python
> 2.4.2 and wxPython 2.6. The wxPython was installed using 'apt-get install
> python-wxGtk2.6'.
>
> So I don't know why you say you need to use Python 2.3 as I don't even have that
> on my system.

Although Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, it does have different packages.
At the moment, Debian's default Python is 2.3 although one can also
install Python 2.4, and most Python packages in Debian have been built
for both (that's why I erroneously recommended installing the apparently
nonexistant python2.4-wxgtk2.4). However, it appears that the maintainer
of the Debian wxPython is not building packages for both Python 2.3 and
2.4. The maintainer of the Ubuntu wxPython package apparently is.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter