Choose meaningful subjects for posts [was: Re: newb ?]

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Nov 18 14:40:18 EST 2005

On 2005-11-18, Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> wrote:

>>>     http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#bespecific
>>> before you post your next question.

If I can't tell from the subject line what the thread is about, I almost
never read it.

>> Note also that the subject line on an existing thread can be changed,
>> though not everyone's software will track the changes, unfortunately. It's
>> always worth taking the time to make sure the subject line really does
>> describe the subject of your message
>
> [Since we're giving posting advice.]
>
> By the same token, don't use a reply to start a new thread. Some software
> *will* keep it in the thread, and if they had killed the thread, they won't
> see your posts.

They don't even have to kill the original thread. By just not expanding the
thread they won't see the "new" thread hidden inside the old one.

This problem seems to be especially prevelent in c.l.p. (as are fractured
threads). I think it's due to people who read the group via an e-mail
gateway (particularly the ones who get the digest service).

Obligatory aside: I'm completely baffled why anybody would choose the
mailing list format over Usenet.  I don't even read mailing lists via
mailing lists.  I recommend gmane.org's NNTP server for all your mailing
list needs.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  It's so OBVIOUS!!
                                  at