wxPython Licence vs GPL

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Nov 23 11:33:24 EST 2005

John Perks and Sarah Mount wrote:
> we have some Python code we're planning to GPL. However, bits of it were
> cut&pasted from some wxPython-licenced code to use as a starting point
> for implementation. It is possible that some fragments of this code
> remains unchanged at the end.

Whether or not some fragments of code remain unchanged at the end of
your project, if you start out with a piece of source code lifted from
wxPython then what you have created is definitely a "derivative work"
and, as such, you must take into account the wxPython license in your
licensing of the derivative work.

> How should we refer to this in terms of copyright statements and bundled
> Licence files? Is there, say, a standard wording to be appended to the
> GPL header in each source file? Does the original author need to be
> named as one of the copyright holders, or that ours is a derivative work
> from his? Which of these would be required under the terms of the
> Licence, and which by standard practice / courtesy?

You'll have to read the wxPython license in order to find out the answer
to that question.

> (This assumes the wxPython Licence is compatible with the GPL -- if not,
> do we just cosmetically change any remaining lines, so none remain from
> the orignal?)

That won't stop your code from being a derivative work. You'll need to
take licensing and copyright issues a little more seriously before you
release anything.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119