Why is "if fileitem.file:" (almost) never false?

Peter peter at monicol.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 12:44:33 EST 2005

I think:

   form = cgi.FieldStorage()
   fileitem = form["userfile"]
   if fileitem.filename:
         data = form.getfirst("userfile")
         if data:
              #do somethinfg with it

FieldStorage objects always have a filename attribute which is  the
filename that the user used to upload the file or '' (maybe None) when
the FieldStorage object was not created for  a File upload. The
getfirst call returns the data of the file, but you need to access the
FieldStorage object directly forthe filename (as you did).

HTH

Peter