wxPython Licence vs GPL

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Nov 24 03:12:09 EST 2005

bonono at gmail.com wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>Whether or not some fragments of code remain unchanged at the end of
>>your project, if you start out with a piece of source code lifted from
>>wxPython then what you have created is definitely a "derivative work"
>>and, as such, you must take into account the wxPython license in your
>>licensing of the derivative work.
>>

> Is that true ? What if I remove/replace the copyright doubtful portion
> with another implementation ? I believe this happens all the time in
> commerical software sue too.

Well I suppose I'd argue that if you include a piece of source code and
then remove it, your product didn't really "start out" with it, but this
is mere detail.

The thrust of my original remarks was to try to persuade the OP that the
original comment about changing the code was ingenuous. If you take some
code under license as a starting point then even if no line of code
remains unchanged at the end of the process your code is arguably a
derivative work of the original.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119