Underscores in Python numbers

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Nov 19 21:22:27 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Dealing with numeric literals with lots of digits is
> a real (if not earth-shattering) human interface problem: it is hard for
> people to parse long numeric strings.

I'm totally unconvinced that this _is_ a real problem, if we define
"real" as being even enough to jiggle my mouse, let alone shattering the
planet.

What examples does anyone have of where it is necessary to define a
large number of large numeric literals?  Isn't it the case that other
than the odd constants in various programs, defining a large number of
such values would be better done by creating a data file and parsing it?

And if that's the case, one could easily define any convention one
desired for formatting the raw data.

And for the odd constant, either take a moment to verify the value, or
define it in parts (e.g. 24*60*60*1000*1000 microseconds per day), or
write a nice little variant on int() that can do exactly what you would
have done for the external data file if you had more values.

-Peter