Class Variable Access and Assignment

Fri Nov 4 22:56:41 EST 2005

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 13:52:22 -0800, Paul Rubin wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVETHIScyber.com.au> writes:
>> Follow the logical implications of this proposed behaviour.
>>
>> class Game:
>>     current_level = 1
>>     # by default, games start at level one
>
> That's bogus.  Initialize the current level in the __init__ method
> where it belongs.

It might be bogus to you, but it isn't to me. I prefer to delay setting
instance attributes until they are needed.

It also allows you to do something like this:

class ExpertGame(Game):
    current_level = 100

and then use ExpertGame anywhere you would have used Game with no problems.

Yes, there are other ways to do this. I won't say they are wrong, but I
don't believe they are better.

--
Steven.