General question about Python design goals

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 21:46:07 EST 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>Yes. If it's not going to be used, then there's not much point.
>>Practicality beats purity, and all that.
>
> Geez man, "practicality beats purity" only means that if maintaining
> purity of something is impractical, you can judiciously let purity
> slide.  It doesn't mean every slapdash kludge you can throw together
> is acceptable for a widely-used distro, just because it works for the
> cases you happened to think of at the moment you wrote it.

Fine. Allow me to rephrase. Development is primarily motivated by
practical needs and guided by notions of purity. Use cases are the
primary tool for communicating those practical needs. If you can't think
of a single use case, what's the point of implementing something? Or
rather, why should someone else implement it if you don't know how you
would use it?

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com