Python as Guido Intended

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Nov 24 16:39:45 EST 2005

rurpy at yahoo.com writes:
> "Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> writes:
>> rurpy at yahoo.com writes:
>> > Different programming styles are appropriate for different
>> > tasks, different times and different places, different people.
>> > And like morality, government, or economics, I do not believe
>> > that one style of programming fits all situations.
>> If I read you right, what you're saying is that hammmers aren't good
>> at driving screws. I don't think anyone would argue about that.
> No, the analogy is more like this.  Python is hammer that comes
> in green or blue.  The hammer's developers say (perhaps with
> some reason) that cool colors like green and blue are the best
> colors because they promote calm when used.  Calm hammerers
> are more productive and less violent.  My work is
> repairing the inside of dark water tanks.  It is hard to see blue
> and green hammers, and to find them if I put them down.
> I suggest that Python have the option of red hammers.

So you're suggesting a fundamental change to the nature of
Python. It's inherently a blue/green language. Making it available in
Red violates the spirit and philosphy of the language, which is why:

> The Python people respond with horror, pointing out the problems
> with red hammers.

In other words, there are reasons that python doesn't come in red, and
they will gladly tell you what they are.

> Regarding the differences between hammers and screwdrivers...
> When a screwdriver is appropriate I use a screwdriver.  If I
> need to write code that does a large amount of CPU intensive
> number crunching, I use C, not Python.

Yes. And if you need a red hammmer, you should get a red hammer, not
use red spray paint on one that wasn't designed to be red. Just
because *you* don't see how providing a red option violates the
philosophy of python doesn't mean that it doesn't do so.

>> > This has the benefit of attracting more people to Python.
>> And why is this a benefit?
> More eyeballs to find bugs.  More hands to make improvements.
> More minds to make suggestions.  More hearts to share the joy. :-)

More people to try and turn the hammer into a screwdriver, more people
to insist that the bike shed be red, etc. If popularity were inherently
a good thing, I'd be writing VB on Windows.

  <mike