icmp - should this go in itertools?

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 26 15:31:12 EST 2005

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:58:00 -0500, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> Tom Anderson <twic at urchin.earth.li> wrote:
>
>> It's modelled after the way cmp treats lists - if a and b are lists,
>> icmp(iter(a), iter(b)) should always be the same as cmp(a, b).
>>
>> Is this any good? Would it be any use? Should this be added to itertools?
>
> Whatever happens, please name it something other than icmp.  When I read
> "icmp", I think "Internet Control Message Protocol".

Me too, but I see that as an added bonus ;-). OTOH, if this is part of
itertools or some other module, "itertools.cmp" would be a more logical
name. (On the third hand, as someone else said, I don't see the use case for
this.)

/Jorgen
--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@        Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
\X/     snipabacken.dyndns.org>  R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!