what happens when the file begin read is too big for all lines tobe?read with "readlines()"

Ross Reyes rossreyes at rcn.com
Sat Nov 19 08:01:36 EST 2005

Yes, I have read this part....

      readlines( [sizehint])

Read until EOF using readline() and return a list containing the lines thus
read. If the optional sizehint argument is present, instead of reading up to
EOF, whole lines totalling approximately sizehint bytes (possibly after
rounding up to an internal buffer size) are read. Objects implementing a
file-like interface may choose to ignore sizehint if it cannot be
implemented, or cannot be implemented efficiently.

Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but it does not seem to say what happens when
the input for readlines is too big.  Or does it?

How does one tell exactly what the limitation is to the size of  the
returned list of strings?