Which License Should I Use?

Paul Watson pwatson at redlinepy.com
Fri Nov 25 16:11:49 EST 2005

mojosam wrote:
> I've been watching the flame war about licenses with some interest.
> There are many motivations for those who participate in this sector, so
> disagreements over licenses reflect those agendas.
>
> I don't have an agenda, at least not right now.  I do plan on writing a
> few programs.
>
> These will be tools I need for firmware testing.  They will be
> relatively simple things like tools for breaking down data by its
> structure for easy viewing, sending commands/macros over serial ports,
> etc.  Similar things exist, but they don't do everything I need.  These
> will also be excellent learning opportunities for me, since I'm still
> pretty shaky on Python.
>
> How do I decide on a license?  Are there any web sites that summarize
> the pros and cons?  I guess I don't care too much about how other
> people use it.  These things won't be comprehensive enough or have
> broad enough appeal that somebody will slap a new coat of paint on them
> and try to sell them.  I guess I don't care if somebody incorporates
> them into something bigger.  If somebody were to add features to them,
> it would be nice to get the code and keep the derivative work as open
> source, but I don't think that matters all that much to me.  If
> somebody can add value and find a way of making money at it, I don't
> think I'd be too upset.
>
> I will be doing the bulk of the coding on my own time, because I need
> to be able to take these tools with me when I change employers.
> However, I'm sure that in the course of using these tools, I will need
> to spend time on the job debugging or tweaking them.  I do not want my
> current employer to have any claim on my code in any way.  Usually if
> you program on company time, that makes what you do a "work for hire".
> I can't contaminate my code like that.  Does that mean the GPL is the
> strongest defense in this situation?
>
> I'm open to suggestions as to which licenses to consider.  However,
> please try to keep the conversation to the decision process or what
> sounds like it is best for this purpose.  Let's keep the broader issue
> of which license will bring about the fall of Western Civilization on
> the other thread.
>
> Ron Britton
>
> (The gibberish on the next line really is my email address.)
> nk67v8o02
> at
> sneakemail.com

As mentioned earlier, your employer may lay some claim to the result if
it substantially relates to your work.

Using your employer's equipment to develop or test the code might also
be an indication that it is a work for hire.  Either that, or you
misused the company's assets for personal gain.  Neither sounds very
attractive.