After migrating from debian to ubuntu, tkinter "hello world" doesn't work

mortuno at gmail.com mortuno at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 14:02:57 EST 2005

Hi

My tkinter apps worked fine in debian linux (woody and sarge)
I moved to ubuntu 5.10

I follow the 'hello world' test as seen in
http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter

import _tkinter # with underscore, and lowercase 't'
import Tkinter # no underscore, uppercase 'T'
Tkinter._test() # note underscore in _test()

and at the third point I get:

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1569, in __init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className,
interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
_tkinter.TclError: this isn't a Tk applicationi

Some posts relate this error to locales, but I didn't change them

locale.getlocale()
('es_ES', 'iso-8859-15')

any help will be appreciated

Miguel