I Need Motivation Part 2

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Fri Nov 4 11:06:19 EST 2005

blah at blah.blah wrote:
> i m currently in a network (LAN). i started python because i heard
> that it has great ability for networking programs and/or scripts, but
> i m losing my motivation with python because there are sooo many
> modules, that i cant just learn them all, this deters from c or c++ in
> which there are only a limited number of header files. what loses my
> interest is that if i cant learn these modules, and there are lots and
> lots of python modules, how can i ever be a good enough
> programmer/scripter.

The standard libraries in C++ more or less ends where the standard
libraries in Python begin. There are needed to handle data structures
and algorithms in C++ that you don't need a single import to do in
Python. For C++ network programming, you'll probably have to search
the internet or buy something fancy, to get anywhere close to the
stuff you get in Python's standard library.

It seems you have a little writer's block. Don't try to learn and
understand everything before you start. If Python appears more complex
than C++, you must be using a really weird approach.

Just start with something small but useful. Try to solve a little
problem, and see that you can get some benefit from the time you
invest in Python. Make an effort, but don't be afraid to ask about
practical things if you get stuck.

Then you can expand your scope and horizons as time goes on. The
only think I advice everybody to read in the library reference is
chapter 2, the builtin stuff. Otherwise, start with libraries you
really need.

If you want to read more Steve Holden's book is good when it comes to
network programming, but there is another, newer book as well that I
didn't read. Actually, Alex Martelli's Nutshell book is probably enough
to get you started.