elementtree.ElemenTree barfs on my Safari Cookies file

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Nov 13 04:14:11 EST 2005

skip at pobox.com wrote:

> Safari stores its cookies in XML format.  Looking to try and add support for
> it to cookielib I started by first trying to parse it with Fredrik Lundh's
> elementtree package.  It complained about an invalid token.  Looking at the
> spot it indicated in the file, I found a non-ASCII, but (as far as I can
> tell) perfectly valid utf-8 string.

xml.dom.minidom gives the same error, so it's not a problem with
elementtree in itself.

the problematic tag contains:

    '\xc3\x804\x01@`'

which decodes to

    '\xc04\x01@`'

which contains chr(1), which is an invalid XML character (at least
in XML 1.0).

that apple's tools are able to generate bogus XML is a known problem; for
a discussion and some workarounds, see the "Status of XML 1.1 processing
in Python" over at the xml-sig mailing list:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/xml-sig/2792071

</F>