defining the behavior of zip(it, it) (WAS: Converting a flat list...)

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 24 15:01:52 EST 2005

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> rurpy at yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > > the thing that's in favour is "then-if-else", not "if-then-else".
> >
> > Sorry if I confused you, I though it was clear that I meant the
> > concept, not a specific syntactical implementation.
>
> yup, but if you care readability about, the words order appear in
> would to seem matter too.

Yes, order does matter.  Which is why I chose the order I
did.  Anyone familiar with programming (including Python
programmers) will understand what an "if-then-else" statement
and expression are.  The term "then-if-else" will make sense
only to people who use Python and are familiar with the
twists and turns of the PEP-308 debate.  Why would I choose
to intentionally restrict the audience of my post when there
is no need to?  (That this is a Python newsgroup read by
Python users is not relevant.  Other people read it too.)

It is very interesting I think, because this is the core of my
complaint about Python.  Python seems unwilling to adapt
to any unapproved styles, even when it could do so at
little cost.  Like you, it prefers targeting a narrow(*)
audience willing to adopt the "one true programming style"
even when it could appeal to a wider audience.

That you extend this Python philosophy even to english
and newsgroup posting is fascinating...

(*) I mean narrow in their view of what constitutes good
style, not narrow or small in numbers.