Why are there no ordered dictionaries?

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Tue Nov 22 09:53:59 EST 2005

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On 22 Nov 2005 01:41:44 -0800,
> 	Kay Schluehr <kay.schluehr at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone actually use this site? While the Vaults offered a nice
> > place and a nice interface the Cheese Shop has the appeal of a code
> > slum.
>
> Looking at the Cheese Shop's home page at
> http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi, which lists recent package updates,
> three packages were updated on 11/22, and three on 11/21.  Two on
> 11/20, six on 11/19 (someone was busy!).
>
> Looking at the Vaults's 'latest' page at
> http://py.vaults.ca/apyllo.py?a=l, two packages were updated on 08/23,
> and five on 08/06.
>
> What would improve the Cheese Shop's interface for you?
>
> --amk

>From the treasures of the vaults to cheese shops - an upside down
evolution :( Personally I find the usability of the Vaults quite well
and it's design o.k. I guess it is a technical detail that causes the
Vaults to be phased out.

If I'd try something more innovative by myself I'd think about
accessing and filtering packages through the Python console itself.
Probably an enhanced standard console enabling SQL commands. Updates of
a local database ( e.g. SQLite ) should be cheap and may be performed
by only one request. Searching, filtering, loading, installing would be
done in a Python+SQL environment.

Kay