Addressing the last element of a list

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Mon Nov 14 03:42:25 EST 2005

Op 2005-11-10, Mike Meyer schreef <mwm at mired.org>:
> [Context recovered from top posting.]
>
> "bonono at gmail.com" <bonono at gmail.com> writes:
>> Daniel Crespo wrote:
>>> Well, I hope that newcomers to Python don't confuse himselves :)
>> This mutable/immutable object and name/variable is confusing.
>
> Only if you have to overcome a conviction that variables behave in a
> different way. If you've never seen them behave another way, or have
> already gotten used to this model from another language (it dates back
> to the 60s, if not the late 50s), then it's no problem. I'm sure the
> problem exists in the opposite direction, except that few people
> travel that route.
>
> Most OO languages do the name/variable thing, but some of the popular
> ones aren't consistent about it, giving some types "special" status,
> so that sometimes "a = b" causes b to be copied onto a, and sometimes
> it causes a to become a pointer to b. I find a consistent approach is
> preferable.

But what about a consistent approach, that allows choice.

Like having an assignment operator (let use @= for it) next to a
(re)bind operator.

We could then have something like the following.

a = 5
b = a
a @= 7
b ==> would result in 7.

I think such option is usefull and I sometimes miss it in python.

--
Antoon Pardon