Python obfuscation

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Tue Nov 15 21:02:08 EST 2005

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

> The Eternal Squire a écrit :
>
>> Without copyright, how could one possibly earn a living writing a
>> novel?
>

> Without copyright, how could one possibly earn a living writing programs?-)

I'm not sure if that is meant to be a rhetorical
question or not, but something of the order of 95% of
all software written is never distributed to others,
and so copyright or the lack of copyright is not an issue.

If software is for purely in-house use, you don't care
if you have copyright on it, because nobody can use
that software.

Very few professional (i.e. they get paid to program)
developers actually own the copyright on the programs
they write, and of those that do own the copyright,
even fewer make money directly from that copyright.

--
Steven.