mmm-mode, python-mode and doctest-mode?

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Wed Nov 30 12:43:27 EST 2005

Is it possible to get doctest-mode to work with mmm-mode and python-mode
nicely so that docstrings containing doctests are editable in
doctest-mode?

In my utter e-lisp ignorance, I tried this:

(require 'mmm-auto)
(setq mmm-global-mode 'maybe)
(mmm-add-classes
  '(
    (doctest
     :submode doctest-mode
     :front "\"\"\""
     :back "\"\"\"")))
(mmm-add-mode-ext-class nil "\\.py$" 'doctest)

That has the following problems:

  - Fails to set the background colour of the doctest-mode regions to the
default mmm-mode gray (as documented by mmm-mode - and observed for
another mmm class I have).  Maybe an interaction with python-mode?

  - Confuses python-mode: the face of docstrings sometimes fluctuates from
second to second between the string face and the face of ordinary text
(I assume the former face is python-mode's string face and the latter face
is the doctest-mode English-text face)!

Any tips appreciated!

John