Using Which Version of Linux

Max rabkin at mweb[DOT]co[DOT]za
Sun Nov 6 04:53:03 EST 2005

blah at blah.blah wrote:
> ok, i m going to use Linux for my Python Programs, mainly because i
> need to see what will these fork() and exec() do. So, can anyone tell
> me which flavour of linux i should use, some say that Debian is more
> programmer friendly, or shold i use fedora, or Solaris. Because these
> three are the only ones i know of that are popular and free.

Ubuntu comes with lots of Python stuff (Mark Shuttleworth, its sponsor,
really loves Python - he gave me quite a lot of money for using it). For
example, it's comes with Python scripting for the GIMP.

It uses DEB packages, which are apparently better, but software (I find)
is much easier to find in RPM format. Also, it tries to emulate a
Windows-style file hierarchy. This is very irritating because:

a) Windows-style file hierarchy is ugly and stupid, and certainly not
worth emulating
b) it is emulated badly.

However, this is only apparent to the user. For the programmer, it is
pure unix. (But it does its mounts in /media instead of /mnt)