Which License Should I Use?

mojosam nk67v8o02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Nov 27 07:40:03 EST 2005

> First thing first, you need to find out if you are an
> "employee", not in the normal sense, but legal sense.

You're right.  I know there has been a lot of case law to come down the
pike over the years, due to all sorts of issues.  One of my friends is
a cab driver.  His contract says that he is an independent contractor.
Yet his state (Oregon) has three criteria that have to be met.  One of
these is he has to set his own hours.  He doesn't; the cab company
tells him when he works.  This fails the independent contractor test,
so the cab company is legally exposed if any of the cabbies wants to
press any employment-law issues.

So there are too many variables and unknowns, and it varies by
jurisdiction.

I started this thread under the mistaken hope that there was some sort
of license that would force the code to stay open source.  Although
that isn't realistic, it doesn't change the fact that I should choose a
license that best fits my needs.

I will consult a lawyer about these issues.  Also, if my
client/employer won't let me keep my code, I'll just have to keep my
code away from them.  Maybe I can find a commercial tool and tell them
that they will have to buy that.

Ron Britton
nk67v8o02 at
sneakemail.com