syntax errors while building pypgsql

Tin Gherdanarra tinman31337 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 11:05:49 EST 2005

Carsten Haese wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 08:01, Tin Gherdanarra wrote:
>
>>Hallo,
>>
>>I'm trying to install pypgsql. However, I get syntax errors
>>while compiling the C sources. The following excerpt
>>from pgconnection.h looks a little funny to me:
>>
>>typedef struct {
>>     PyObject_HEAD /* Here is the syntax error, and rightly so */
>>     PGconn *conn;
>>     PyObject *host;
>>     PyObject *port;
>>     PyObject *db;
>>     PyObject *options;
>>     PyObject *tty;
>>     PyObject *user;
>>     PyObject *pass;
>>     PyObject *bePID;
>>     PyObject *socket;
>>     PyObject *version;
>>     PyObject *notices;
>>     PyObject *cinfo;
>>     int showQuery;
>>} PgConnection;
>>

>>I don't know what PyObject_HEAD or PGconn is,
>>but if they are types, a syntax error is justified here:
>

> PyObject_HEAD is not a type, it is a macro that defines struct members
> that all Python objects have in common. The macro definition has a
> semicolon at the end, so when the macro is expanded, the result is
> syntactically correct, even though the above looks wrong on the surface.

Aha! Weird!

> What error messages are you actually getting? If you are getting a long
> list of errors, please give us the first few rather than the last few.

The aforementioned error was the first one.
I "fixed" it by delegating the installation/build to
apt-get python-pgsql. That did it for me.

Unfortunately, I can't duplicate the errors now.

This probably means that apt-get automatically failed
to install some stuff I failed to do.

However, I don't think that you miss anything interesting,
i.e. a bug in pysql or so. This was just a newbie problem.
Thanks all the same
Tin