strange sockets

Skink spam at me.please
Fri Nov 4 09:17:28 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm preparing a python server that sends java classes and resources to
custom java class loader. In order to make it faster I don't want to use
URLClassLoader that uses HTTP protocol 1.0 and for each class/resource
creates own connection.
Instead I'd like to use raw sockets with simple protocol:

 - class loader sends a line terminated with \n with resource to get
 - python server reads that line, gets the file and sends back an
integer with file length and then the file itself
 - class loader reads a lenght integer and then reads the remainig data

The problem is when I try to read several files the first one is read
quite fast, but the rest is read 40 x slower. For example (time is in
seconds):

% python client.py client.py client.py client.py server.py server.py
init 0.00066089630127
client.py 0.000954866409302
client.py 0.0408389568329
client.py 0.0409188270569
server.py 0.0409059524536
server.py 0.0409259796143

what's wrong here?

thanks,
skink

client.py
import socket, sys, struct, time

HOST = 'localhost'
PORT = 8080
t1 = time.time()
s.connect((HOST, PORT))
t2 = time.time()
print "init", t2-t1
for arg in sys.argv[1:]:
    t1 = time.time()
    s.send(arg + "\n")
    len, = struct.unpack("!i", s.recv(4))
    data = s.recv(len)
    t2 = time.time()
    print arg, t2-t1
s.close()

server.py
import socket, struct, binascii

HOST = ''
PORT = 8080
s.bind((HOST, PORT))
while 1:
    s.listen(1)
    conn, addr = s.accept()
    print 'Connected by', addr
    f = conn.makefile()
    while 1:
        resource = f.readline().rstrip()
        print "[%s]" % resource
        if not resource:
            break
        data = open(resource, "rb").read()
        conn.sendall(struct.pack("!i", len(data)))
        conn.sendall(data)
    conn.close()