wxPython Licence vs GPL

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Nov 26 10:34:49 EST 2005

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Fine. If you want to take rights away from the people you redistribute
> somebody else's software to, then the GPL is not for you.

the people you distribute somebody else's open source software to
still have the same rights to that software as you have.  GPL or not
GPL doesn't change that a bit.

if someone grabs my stuff and hides it in a commercial application,
anyone can still get my stuff under the original license.  (e.g. Adobe's
use of bits and pieces from Python's Unicode string implementation
doesn't seem to affect Python users the slightest...)

I find it a lot more annoying when people grab my stuff, make trivial
additions or bugfixes to it, and GPL the result instead of contributing
it back.  exactly how that increases freedom is hard for me to tell,
but I guess there's freedom and then there's freedom...

</F>