XML and namespaces

uche.ogbuji at gmail.com uche.ogbuji at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:22:56 EST 2005

Wilfredo Sánchez Vega:
"""
I'm having some issues around namespace handling with XML:

        >>> document = xml.dom.minidom.Document()
        >>> element = document.createElementNS("DAV:", "href")
        >>> document.appendChild(element)
        <DOM Element: href at 0x1443e68>
        >>> document.toxml()
        '<?xml version="1.0" ?>\n<href/>'
"""

I haven't worked with minidom in just about forever, but from what I
can tell this is a serious bug (or at least an appalling mising
feature).  I can't find anything in the Element,writexml() method that
deals with namespaces.  But I'm just baffled.  Is there really any way
such a bug could have gone so long unnoticed in Python and PyXML?  I
searched both trackers, and the closest thing I could find was this
from 2002:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=637355&group_id=6473&atid=106473

Different symptom, but also looks like a case of namespace ignorant
code.

Can anyone who's worked on minidom more recently let me know if I'm
just blind to something?

--
Uche Ogbuji                               Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net                    http://fourthought.com