AJAX => APAX? Or: is there support for python in browsers?

Roger Erens r.erens at eurosys.nl
Tue Nov 15 05:27:32 EST 2005

Hello,

I remember that the first time I read about Python as a programming
language was when reading the W3C's HTML 4.01 specification a few years
ago. In the section on objects, images and applets
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html) an example was given
like

<P><OBJECT classid="http://www.miamachina.it/analogclock.py">
<PARAM name="height" value="40" valuetype="data">
<PARAM name="width" value="40" valuetype="data">
This user agent cannot render Python applications.
</OBJECT>

It's also in the XHTML2.0 specification. Now, is this just a theoretical
example? Or is there a browser that _does_ support python scripts? Or do
we have to place our bets on the Mozilla 1.9 milestone with hard work
being done by Mark Hammond?

I'm asking because of all the AJAX hype going on. I'd like rather not
delve too deep into JavaScript and use Python instead.

Any insights to be shared?

Cheers,
Roger