output question 1

Simon Brunning simon.brunning at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 05:48:34 EST 2005

On 10/11/05, leewang kim <leewang.kim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote the following code and got the output:
> a 13 0
> None
> b 81 3

(snip)

> where are those 'none' from? and how can I remove them?
>
> class Point:
>     def __init__(self,x,y,name):
>         self.x = x
>         self.y = y
>         self.name = name
>     def summary(self):
>         print self.name,self.x,self.y

Here you print your self.name value etc.

> if __name__ == '__main__':
>     from string import letters
>     m = 13,81,8,9,1
>     n = 0,3,2,2,1
>     q=len(x)
>     points = [ Point(m[i],n[i],letters[i]) for i in range(q) ]
>      i=0
>     while i<q:
>         print points[i].summary()

Here you print whatever is returned from the summary() method. Since
that method doesn't return anything explicitly, None is returned by
default, and you are printing that.

>         i=i+1

One simple fix - change the summary method to returnt the values
rather than print them - replace 'print' with 'return' in that method.
Another would be not to print the returned values - remove 'print'
from your while loop.

--
Cheers,
Simon B,