wxPython Licence vs GPL

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 24 11:43:22 EST 2005

Mike Meyer wrote:
> "Martin P. Hellwig" <mhellwig at xs4all.nl> writes:
>> If the non-techie is still interested, I'll rave on about that I
>> understand why GPL is a good way to ensure availability of IP
>> especially if the software is a collaborated effort in the academic
>> scene.
>
> Your comment about the GPL "ensuring availability" would imply that
> other-licensed software has a tendency to become unavailable. Do you
> know of any examples of such?
>
>      <mike

Yes, it happens on a regular bases that *BSD's are ported to a
particular platform or devices and that the necessary changes to make it
work that way are not released back (eg Ironport mail systems). Other
examples are extensions of other software to fill a particular need that
are kept close for a binary only sale (eg Mammoth PostgreSQL +
Replication).

There are numerous other examples, most of them are "company secrets".

Note that I do not have any objections to it, if I owned a company
making profit on software sales (sale =! support) you sign a death wish
for using GPL, if it's coupled with a device then things are different.
If you sell support, GPL is a wonderful way to maximize your income.

--
mph