getting results into one variable

s99999999s2003 at yahoo.com s99999999s2003 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 11:41:38 EST 2005

Steve Holden wrote:
> s99999999s2003 at yahoo.com wrote:
>
> That's a nice email address :-)
> > hi
> > the database "execute" function returns a list of logical results. Each
> > logical result is a list of row tuples, as explained in the documents.
> >
> In a DB-API-compliant module, execution of the query adn retrieval of
> the result(s) are actually sepearated: execute() executesthe query (and
> on some, but not all, platforms returns the number of rows in the
> result). Then you use either fetchone(), fetchmany() or fetchall() to
> retrive the results from the cursor.
>
> > everytime i use it to execute various statements, it returns me, for
> > example
> > ([(0,)], [(0,)], [(0,)]) and sometimes , ([(0,)], [(0,)]) or ([(0,)])
> >
> What you seem to be saying here is that you are getting a tuple of
> lists, each of which contains a (single-element) tuple. What mopdule are
> you using to do this, or is it the result of a gedanken-experiment?
>
> > in my call, i give
> > eg (a,b,c) = db.execute(stmt) so that it returns me ([(0,)], [(0,)],
> > [(0,)])
> >
> > in python, can we do something like
> >
> > a = db.execute(stmt) and then expand variable 'a'
> >
> > instead of doing
> > (a,b) =  db.execute(stmt) for return of 2
> > (a,b,c) = for return of 3
> > (a,b,c,d) for return of 4
> >
> > thanks
> >
> Yes. Here's a pracical example using the database that generates
> www.holdenweb.com:
>
>   >>> import mx.ODBC.Windows as db
>   >>> conn = db.connect("comsite")
>   >>> curs = conn.cursor()
>   >>> curs.execute("SELECT secID, secTitle, secPath FROM SECTION")
>   >>>

> [Note that this returns None for this particular combination of database
> module and backend].
>
>   >>> rows = curs.fetchall()
>   >>> rows
> [(1, 'Explore Holden Web', 'hd_explore'), (2, 'Student Links',
> 'hd_students'), (3, 'Other Stuff', 'hd_otherstuff'), (4, 'Recent Python
> News', 'hd_pythonnews'),(5, 'Python Links', 'hd_pythonlinks'), (6,
> 'Python Reading', 'hd_pythonreading'), (7, 'Python Modules',
> 'hd_pythonreviews')]
>   >>>

> You see here that fetchall() returns a list of tuples - each tuple being
> a rows from the query result. It's normal to iterate over this list, and
> one way to do this is:
>
>   >>> for row in rows:
>   ...   print row
> (1, 'Explore Holden Web', 'hd_explore')
> (2, 'Student Links', 'hd_students')
> (3, 'Other Stuff', 'hd_otherstuff')
> (4, 'Recent Python News', 'hd_pythonnews')
> (5, 'Python Links', 'hd_pythonlinks')
> (6, 'Python Reading', 'hd_pythonreading')
> (7, 'Python Modules', 'hd_pythonreviews')
>   >>>

> Of course you can unpack each row if you want to refer to the columns
> individually:
>
>   >>> for row in rows:
> [...]

thanks , that's excellent..
currently what i do is sort of combined the sql statements, something
like

stmt = """declare @res int
               exec @res sp_adduser '%s'
               if @res = 0
                      insert table values...blah blah where col = '%s'
""" % ( login, colvalue)

then when i do
(a,b) = db.executed(stmt), it gives me ([(0,)], [(1,)]) when i print
(a,b)
i think one result is the one from sp_adduser stored proc and the other
is the insertion.
if i want to get a or b's  value, i would do a[0][0] or b[0][0]

will using a cursor with fetch* give me a return result of a stored
proc...?
i did not use cursors for executing stored procs...i just call
db.execute(stmt) , from the eg above.

i think i am going to revamp some of my codes, after looking at your
reply. thanks