newbiew ?->creating multiuser database project 2 b used via internet

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Nov 7 20:24:47 EST 2005

python wrote:
> hello and thanks for reading this.
> i am a long time windows/visual_basic user and i have been quite happy using that.
>
> i am doing a consulting project for a dry cleaning company.
> in the past i would use windows and visual basic but i want to create an app using python and linux using something link
> nomachine's nx server/client.
>
> i really did python.
> seems to me that i can create the app on my windows computer using things like:
> --- python
> --- postgre/mqsql
> --- thinker or something like it.
>
> then i could 'deploy'' it on linux.
>
> perhaps someone can provide some answers to the following questions to guide me.
>
> 1. is there any skeleton apps that supports:
>     --- multi-user database
>     --- forms
>     --- some simple ui
>     --- optmized for use over internet.
>
> i do not think i would want to use a browser based app is they seem to have a very primitve interface with too many page
> reloads.
> yeah, there is ajax but it is way to new for me.
>
> i checked out rekall but it looked to primitve and under development plus it did not seem to do graphing and had only
> read only kde and i will not be using kde.
>
> i have been checking out activatestate's komodo and i like that but i need some code to learn from.
>
> python  is so different from visualbasic and i want to learn the right way
>
> thanks so much,
> dave

Sounds to me like you could usefully take a look at dabo and/or django.
Both can be used to produce multi-tier applications, but django is
web-based where dabo is GUI-based. Both seem to have the elements you
say you are interested in.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119