Getting Python Accepted in my Organisation

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Thu Nov 3 08:21:50 EST 2005

Stefan Arentz wrote:
> Stuart Turner <turnerst at family-zone.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I'm already using it for a ton of things - I want to try and get broader
> > acceptance in the organisation for it to be made and 'officially supported
> > product'.
>
> IMO that is what you need to communicate: 'already using it for a ton of
> things' and probably adding 'being more productive than with tool XYZ'
>
>  S.

It didn't work well in my case. I still use Python for "tons of things"
but it didn't change the attitudes of my co-workers towards learning a
new language. It just changed my status as a programmer inside of the
department. And remember: Python is still cutting edge as a language
but sub-standard when it comes to tool support i.e. you do not have to
introduce just a language but a different culture of programming as it
is common sense now.

Kay