Using Which Version of Linux

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Sun Nov 6 09:03:31 EST 2005

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 11:53:03 +0200
Max <rabkin at mweb[DOT]co[DOT]za> wrote:
> It uses DEB packages, which are apparently better, but
> software (I find) is much easier to find in RPM format.

I find this a bit of a deceptive impression. It is easier to
find *third party* RPMs. OTOH, the Debian distribution makes
it far easier for me to find DEB packages than RPM for the
VAST majority of packages.

That is to say, there are far better central repositories of
DEB packages, even though they don't as often packaged by
the original software authors.  I think this is because
DEBs, due to their finer dependency system are harder to
make (but easier to keep).

So it's a bit like proprietary software proponents who point
to the local CompUSA and say "Look at all the software
available for Windows, and one tiny shelf for Linux --
there must be more software for Windows", ignoring the fact
that the one tiny shelf may well have more software on it
than the rest of the store combined.  Don't be snowed by the
boxes.

Similarly, I see RPMs by ones and twos all over the place,
and only a few places with DEBs. But the DEB repositories
are HUGE.

> Also, it tries to emulate a  Windows-style file
> hierarchy. This is very irritating because:

"it"=Ubuntu, Red Hat, or Debian?

> a) Windows-style file hierarchy is ugly and stupid, and
> certainly not  worth emulating
> b) it is emulated badly.

Hmm.  Not sure what you mean.  I first thought you were
criticizing FHS, but now I don't think so.

If you're talking about the KDE/Gnome menus, that may be
interesting. I've seen a lot of conflicting and inconsistent
layouts, and I'm not sure how I would do it, given the
chance.